In which I realize that my achievements today are minor, but filling.
Oh, here’s the recipe for what I made tonight. It’s probably reasonably accurate:
Alfredo Leftover Ham
(Kinda sounds like a Harry Potter spell, doesn’t it?)
- 2 cups dry noodles (I used rotini)
- 4 cups water (or, you know: enough to make noodles)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups cooked sliced ham, diced (it may have been more like 3)
- 3 roasted jalepeno (remove the stem and seeds and chop)
- 1 yellow onion (I wish I had a bigger one; slice it in half, then slice it into thin semi-circles)
- 1 bulb of garlic (yes, the whole bulb)
- 1 cup cooked bacon (may have been less; probably should have been more)
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger (diced fairly small)
- 1 cup frozen peas (yeah, like I measured it!)
- 1 bottle alfredo sauce (choose your favourite; mine was apparently 2 years old)
- 3 green onions
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (I just dumped in the small amount I had left)
- salt and pepper to test (I add a little salt to the water, then none otherwise, but I’m used to low salt for health reasons; I tend to throw pepper on when frying, and as a garnish)
- dry parsley (I realized I had it and it worked well; I probably used a tablespoon or three)
- Add a little oil to a frying pan. (I used a dash of oil from making bacon earlier in the day, and a splash of vegetable oil.) Turn on medium heat. Add chopped ginger until it starts to sizzle, then add onions. When the onion starts to turn translucent, add the chopped ham. Fry until the ham has started to shrink a bit and change colour. Add the chopped jalepenos, and mix thoroughly. Add a generous amount of parsley, and mix thoroughly. Once the temperature should be even, turn off and set aside. (You might want to push all the ingredients to one side and tilt the pan, to reduce the amount of oil.)
- Boil water. Add pasta when its reach a full boil. Boil until not yet tender (took me 5 minutes), then add frozen peas. Water will stop boiling briefly. Let it reach a boil and cook for another few minutes (2 more in my case, once boiling).
- Drain pasta & peas. (You will probably need a strainer.) Turn heat down. Add butter, stir into pasta. Before the butter has yet melted, add sauce. Add a 1/4 cup (or less) of water to the sauce bottle, seal and shake to clear the bottle, add it to the sauce.
- Stir to incorporate, then add cook ham mix. Mix thoroughly. Turn off heat.
- Add parmesan and green onions. Mix. Set aside for a few minutes with a cover (let it steam).
- When serving, add a dash of ground pepper.
Eat! There was plenty here, and the leftovers will taste great reheated in the microwave, perhaps with a dash (or drizzle, or perhaps a friggin’ splash) of sriracha and a sprinkle of parmesan (although I’m out of parmesan..).