CQ: If you could go to one and only one weird or geeky or brainy or creative conference, convention or gathering, anywhere in the world, where would it be, and why? If it helps, consider that time travel is also an option..
Promo: Every Photo Tells – A picture-inspired short-story audio podcast, this month featuring a novelette one of their photos inspired me to tell: “Tainted Roses”.
Promo: The Cutting Room Floor – A movie & TV review radio show, hilarious.
On the show this week:
- Front Page
- Ye Olde Stuffe
Full list of articles after the jump!
- Imagine: a public service which *owns* books and *lends* them to people! Unthinkable! Inconceivable!: Boing Boing – Libraries set out to own their ebooks
- Front Page:
- The truth about several “lies to children” that we can be let in on now..: Stepcase Lifehack – 9 Childhood Rules Best Forgotten by Adults
- Basically, we got less optimistic and a little more right.: io9 – How our predictions for the Year 2000 changed throughout the 20th Century
- An old list (2003) about what we already knew too much about..: NEWS of the WEIRD – NO LONGER WEIRD
- It’s a little like saying, “If you don’t stoppit: BANGZOOM! To the moon, Alice!”: The Japan Times – ‘Population clock’ forecasts no children after year 3011
- Finally, something we can all agree on. I, for one, encourage us all to create new food packaging out of bread.: BBC – Sandwich celebrates 250th anniversary of the sandwich
- Let’s face it: social networks kinda smell already..: BBC – Perfume-puffing robot sniffs out social media mentions
- Really, they just got to the later record far earlier than their opponents, because they moved at the speed of light..: technology review/The Physics arXiv Blog – Chinese Physicists Smash Distance Record For Teleportation
- Ye Olde Stuffe:
- I wrote a card, but it’s all blacked out;: Mysterious Universe – UFOs: MJ12 Reaches 25!
- Iceland sounds like a very interesting place, and the people might just be gentler than anyone else..: Iceland Review – Icelandic MP Moves Elves’ Boulder to His Home
- His *physical* health.: Iceland Review – Icelandic Elf School Principal Concerned for MP’s Health
- I didn’t really know this, but I probably saw it once. The mystery deepens.. into the hole.. which they dug..: ThinkBox – Easter island heads have bodies!??
- If everything passes away, do we have the requirement — or even the right — to preserve it? Aren’t we just being hoarders?: BBC – Nepal’s mystery language on the verge of extinction
- (EXTRA) It always amuses me to see people building technology now as the “vision of the future” that was predicted or suggested by science fiction decades ago..: New Scientist – Interactive ‘wallpaper’ screens are the future of TV
- (EXTRA) Would we really expect anyone to consider the evidence more closely if we compound it with another technique which is itself not widely trusted?: Cryptomundo – Is It Time To Revisit Hypnotizing Bigfoot Witnesses?
- (EXTRA) It makes me wonder if my underwear will be worth something someday..: Orange – ‘Queen’s knickers’ up for grabs on eBay
- (EXTRA) This just means we could have had rocket sleds earlier.. and that Iron Sky is a documentary.: io9 – Did the Germans launch a crewed rocket into space in 1933?