CQ: Life is over sooner than we think, and Steve Jobs gave the advice to live every day as if it were your last. What do you do — or what do you wish you did — every day that makes that day significant?
ZZipp & Co Podcast Show: Thanks for the tip, Zzippster!
Braindouche! Brilliant audio madness.
Harmonics, Season 1: An audio manga by Collin Earl. I hear that the first book version is also available on Amazon for an astonishing price, too!
Comedy4Cast: Long-running comedy podcast that’s.. still going. And genuinely hilarious!
On the show this week:
- Front Page
- They Blended You — With SCIENCE!
- The End Is Not Death
Full list of 41 articles after the jump!
- Thanks to the Zzippster (www.zzipp.podomatic.com): Youtube – Printing a human kidney
- Front Page:
- How to make your career disappear, and how to seem disconnected!: WISTV10/AP – Mass. official who performed bra trick resigns
- Hey: it’s better than a lot of modern art — it’s functional!: The UK Daily Mail – The only reason to keep the tacky Marilyn Monroe statue? She protects from the rain
- Also: a bottle of rum. Yo ho ho!: New Scientist – Pirate politician: We want open, online government
- Hey, when they talk about tightening our belts, do they mean…?: Orange – Hard-up students urged to strip
- He really didn’t see this honour coming..: Orange – Britain’s most distracted motorist?
- Hmm.. Russia may be a little farther behind in portable music players than I thought.. Or maybe, very far out front!: Gadling/AOL – It’s a band. On a motorcycle. In Russia
- (EXTRA) Like the underwear parade last week, only better defined..: Orange – Record-breaking bikini parade
- Also may qualify for World’s Fastest Bowl Of Artifial Fruit..: The Huffington Post – World’s Fastest Couch Hits 101 MPH (VIDEO)
- To be fair, Frankenstein’s Monster only had *one* mouth..: The Huffington Post – Two-headed Cat ‘Frankenlouie’ Turns 12 In Worcester, Mass. (VIDEO)
- Oh sure, for *now* they’re just advertising to pooches. Soon, however, it’s a total canine uprising, straight out of a B-movie villian’s playbook!: The UK Telegraph – Man’s best friend gets his own advert
- (EXTRA) What’s next? Beefcake beefcake portraits? Coconut news anchors? Podcaster pancake profiles?: The Huffington Post – Justin Bieber In Cheese: British Artist Faye Halliday Creates Incredible Celebrity Cheese Spread Portraits (PHOTOS)
- They Blended You — With SCIENCE!:
- A roundup of the winners, but the full ceremony is worth watching live, because — PLEASE STOP! I’M BORED! PLEASE STOP! I’M — Oh, for heaven’s sake..: BBC – Beetle’s beer bottle sex wins Ig Nobel Prize
- They may not be out of step, but they are most definitely out of tune…: PhysOrg – Are Nobels out of step with science?
- See Universe. See Universe Grow. Win Nobel Prize. (Congrats!): The UK Telegraph – Nobel Physics Prize: Astronomers win for insights into expanding universe
- The boundary between Science and Art often is rife with Ignobel Prize Candidates..: New Scientist – When orchestras summon a storm
- Future Ignobel Prize for Confusing Monkeys With Science goes to…: New Scientist – Monkeys ‘feel’ texture of virtual objects
- (EXTRA) Is this important? Or merely the ability for a predator to say “there’s only one tasty morsel there, but a whole bunch over there!”: The Mianichi Daily News – Study finds crows can distinguish symbols representing quantities
- Thus allowing humanoid monkeys to see virtual objects. Somehow, I think we’re behind the monkeys on this one..: PhysOrg – Hitachi demos 3D real-world object projector
- Soon, we will have ability to forget that we ever had the ability to forget, if we choose to… Or have we already done it?: io9 – The Molecules that Could Erase (or Restore) Your Memory
- (EXTRA) Well, what else do you expect a telescope to be used for? Knitting?: Phenomenica/PII – World’s largest telescope underway to spot aliens
- (EXTRA) Ok, so maybe there are a *few* other things to look at. Also: future target for mining, anyone?: BBC – Comet’s water ‘like that of Earth’s oceans’
- For once, can this really be true? Just once?: Reuters/TheWrap – Mayan Documentary Will Show Evidence of Alien Contact, Says Mexico (Exclusive)
- Okay, that officially makes Mt Everest SO OVER..: techtree – Scientists Install Webcam On Mt Everest
- The End Is Not Death:
- (EXTRA) Like Sven Gali crossed with Ghandi.. Sven Ghandi..: Fox8 Cleveland – Miracle Gaze? Spiritual Leader Stares at Thousands Downtown
- (EXTRA) Reading the tea leaves with scientific acumen, realizing that folk science is still science..: Medical News Today – Potential New Drugs From A Cup Of Tea – The Witch Doctors’ Gift
- (EXTRA) It’s okay: his character already lived long and prospered. Let the dude relax.: Gather – Live Long and Prosper: Leonard Nimoy Says Goodbye to ‘Star Trek’ Fans (Video)
- (EXTRA) This story reads much better in it’s original Klingon, where the title roughly translates as “Man Defeats English With Klingon Pride”..: Orange – Dyslexic man masters Klingon
- (EXTRA) I believe you are mixing fictions, there, sir..: io9 – Theologian asks government-funded conference, “Did Jesus die for Klingons too?”
- (EXTRA) I’m torn between recommending they put up a “Happy Halloween!” give-away-the-joke sign, and congratulating them on being able to go around and shout “Gotcha!”..: Live5News/WBTV – Graphic Halloween decoration spurs 911 call
- (EXTRA) Attendees will have haunted memories of the conference, no doubt..: Chron/Sun-Journal – Maine town to host New England Ghost Conference
- (EXTRA) Turns out, it’s fine because it’s really old. But then again, aren’t all “mummified” hands kinda old?: News Daily – Idaho police close investigation into mummified hand
- (EXTRA) Something’s wrong with the weather! Either that, or we’ll just need to adjust the calendar by a month..: BBC – Flowers bloom for a second time this year
- (EXTRA) Some people make so little impact during their lives, that they want to make one in death..: Reuters – Alabama company turns gun lovers’ ashes into ammunition
- (EXTRA) Some people die the way they live. For me, that would mean that I will be very busy after death..: Reuters – Belgium’s “Mr Penguin” dreams of Antarctic funeral
- (EXTRA) And now, his ghost can haunt them forever! HAHAHAHAHAHA! … Ahem..: The UK Telegraph – Royal family obsessive’s body lay near Buckingham Palace for years
- (EXTRA) Given how sedentary and non-adventurous most people’s daily lives are, I’d be surprised if we didn’t heap loads of scorn on this trip — out of jealousy.: The UK Daily Mail – Russian and American Yeti hunters join forces to track down ’30-strong Siberian tribe’
- (EXTRA) It’s like an ark, except that you can barely fit two humans inside. And they are giant plastic balls. And you aren’t going to live long in them. And they are nothing like arks.: The UK Guardian/AP – Japanese ‘Noah’s ark’ disaster capsule goes on sale
- (EXTRA) See, it really was swimming fast, and then leapt.. Maybe..: AOL – Mystery as rare whale found beached in a field in Yorkshire
- (EXTRA) I think they mean it in a *good* way!: BBC – Prehistoric cave etchings ‘created by three-year-olds’
- (EXTRA) We’re almost getting to the point where we’re afraid of food, simply because we haven’t recognized the real culprit: self-discpline..: BBC – Denmark introduces world’s first food fat tax