TWS156: Gotta Find A Way To Live, Man
CQ: I’m recently discovering that my somewhat reduced collection of possessions is a refreshing way to live. Should we all try to live with a reduced amount of stuff, as if we are shipping off on a spaceship and every kilo counts? Or is that unrealistic?
On the show this week:
- Front Page
- Up To No Good
- Bumper: Alexa Chipman, the awesome scriptress of the Maudelayne audio drama series.
- Promo: Luscious Leftovers, sensual talk about good food and other sources of pleasure.
- Promo: Wander Radio, just beyond your radio dial.
Full list of 30 articles after the jump!
- Front Page:
- Apparently, no one saw the giant earthworm..: Yahoo!/7 News/AAP – Deadly storm creates giant sinkhole
- Repeat after me: symptoms are not causes. Symptoms are not causes!: The UK Daily Times – That’s not the afterlife — it’s a brainstorm
- (EXTRA) Apparently, no one saw anything. Well, except those who saw it and took pictures..: CBC – Newfoundland UFOs still a mystery
- Was “Easy Rider” even more subversive than previously believed?: AOL News – Dennis Hopper Film Left Big Legacy to UFO Researchers
- It’s not that you doubt me; it’s that you want to punish me for not agreeing with you..: Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal-Sentinel – Skepticism is fine, but dismissal can hurt
- Can’t we all just get along? Aren’t we all on the same side here, wanting to know what’s really going on?: Intangible Materiality – A Challenge To The Prosaic: The Trace Evidence of Ghost Imaging and Sasquatch
- Wait.. are they actually getting together to honestly talk about UFOs? Excellent!: The Boston Globe – Answers as elusive as evidence on topic of alien abductions
- I think this is a wrong avenue to pursue, one that tends to isolate us as a species when we need, more than ever, to become more integrated with other people.: The UK Telegraph – Smart homes ‘soon to be commonplace in Britain’
- Up To No Good:
- I’ve never heard of such a concert.. and I never will..: BBC – Lou Reed and wife stage ‘high-frequency’ dog concert
- What the harm? Frankly, I think *every* mourning group should put out a table for the dispossessed..: The UK Telegraph – ‘Grim eater’ banned from funerals
- I’ve never quite understood socialized medicine without socialized living.. Yes, I *do* believe that basic living should be provided by the state, if necessary. I also believe in benevolent dictatorship, too.. With me as Supreme King Awesome!: BBC – Man ‘banned’ from using the NHS
- China is just the first country to have to deal with out of control population. I don’t think we should necessarily follow their model..: The UK Telegraph – Chinese hiding three million babies a year
- Some people demonstrate their lack of intelligence in very disgusting ways..: MSNBC/AP – Puke attack: Now that’s fighting dirty
- I think this should be classified as a WMD: “Weapon of Mess Distraction”..: CBC – Feces-squirting thieves sought in Toronto
- How long before he learns to fling poo with his mind?: IEEE/Automaton – Monkey Controls Advanced Robot Using Its Mind
- I should probably reserve judgement until I try it.. Oh dear, I’m terribly close to there..: Metro – Fish and chip flavoured ice-cream launches
- (EXTRA) It’t really, *really* hard to be sympathetic to cocaine users..: Yahoo!/HealthDay – Contaminated Cocaine Can Cause Flesh to Rot
- Looking for something unusual? I hear that their prices are killer, tho..: AOL News – LA Man Creates Tour of Gangsta Hot Spots
- (EXTRA) A deeper analysis of the cleverly encoded crop circle from last week. But the presumption it was *human* intelligence is still suspicious..: forgetomori – Circlemakers say “Hi” (here’s a plank to stomp with)
- I don’t care if it *is* science, I’m still allowed to call it “magical”..: New Scientist – First moment of blood flow seen in embryo video
- The long and varied (and often fake!) history of the crystal skulls.: Archaeology – The Skull of Doom
- (EXTRA) I should think that all cryptozoological creatures should *automatically* be on the Endangered Species list. What’s the downside?: Field and Stream – Please Put Bigfoot on the Endangered Species List
- (EXTRA) Is it hearsay, or did the famed rocket science know that there were forces afoot to create a fake alien attack?: Before It’s News – von Braun: Beware Fake Alien Threat From Space!
- (EXTRA) This is probably going to upset a few patents, as it *probably* counts as “prior art”..: MIT News – A good many years before Goodyear
- (EXTRA) Well, the *rock* is probably older..: The UK Times – Aboriginal rock art may be 40,000 years old
- (EXTRA) Oh, look.. they found Elvis. No, sorry: Elvis’ mummy.: BBC – Egypt: Lost ancient Memphis tomb rediscovered
- (EXTRA) Was it really right to try to “civilizer” her in the first place? Does no one remember Mowgli and Tarzan?: The Telegraph – Cambodian ‘jungle woman’ flees back to wild
- (EXTRA) I’m sure it had nothing to do with “‘roid rage”..: The UK Daily Mail – American cage fighter ‘rips out still-beating heart of training partner after fearing he was possessed by the devil’
- (EXTRA) I always wonder what the distance between “biology” and “psychology” is.. I usually think of it as the difference between “hardware” and “software”, and figure we just need an upgrade..: Nature – Key to psychological disorder may lie in the immune system
- (EXTRA) Maybe because lilly-white tourists show up better under the full moon?: The Independent/AFP – Shark attacks spike on new moons, Sundays: study