The range of music that I play on this show is pretty broad. It reflects my own varied musical tastes, and until I hit upon the one rule to guide me (“beautiful, wordless music”), I had no guideposts at all.
Limits can inspire, they can help to shape things in a world of many possibilities. The themes I’m composing are further limits, partially to force me to highlight things I haven’t fit in before, partially to give structure and meaning to what could, easily enough, just be a randomly-generated playlist.
This month, I’m highlighting the jazzier side of my CAFFEEN! collection. It’s not all strictly jazz — if much of anything I play can ever be strictly genre-identified in one genre or another — but they all inspire me to think of jazz.
So here’s the first installment, simply entitled: “Jazzy I”.
- please abide by spiritual triumphs by bloemfontein from the album the longer now.
- Icicles / Bicycles by Bell Orchestre from the album As Seen Through Windows.
- Vapeur Mandarine by Maxime De La Rochefoucauld from the album Orchestraki.
- White Light Of by Do Make Say Think from the album & Yet & Yet.
- Klein Mandelbrot by Blue Man Group from the album Audio.
- So Well Remembered by Friends Of Dean Martinez from the album Random Harvest.
- Person Most Likely To Enjoy The Taste Of Human Flesh by The Samuel Jackson Five from the album Easily Misunderstood.
- One-Armed Bandit by Jaga Jazzist from the album One-Armed Bandit.
- Toccata by Emerson, Lake and Palmer from the album Brain Salad Surgery.
Beautiful. Wordless. Music.
An hour of music designed to take you from the minimal consciousness of pre-wake all the way to the first jolt of your morning java.
The WEIRD Show
Weird news, strange ideas and odd views.
The WEIRD Show is my weekly roundup of those things usually treated as marginalia, curious little stories that most just read, laugh at, and dispose of, or disturbing things that reveal just a little bit of what this universe might hold. It's produced each week for CHSR-FM 97.9 in Fredericton airing at 9am on Saturday mornings, or afterward as a podcast on theweirdshow.com.
Wandering Out Loud
It is not necessary to have any destination in mind, in order to wander into interesting places.
Wandering Out Loud is an occasional wander both through physical and mental space. I muse about the world from my own particularly odd point of view, seeking to both illuminate and understand. It's done for myself, but you are welcome to join me and wander alongside.
Does anyone understand podcasting yet?
Podcasting fascinates me, as a new genre, a new medium, a new social media and a new way of communicating.
Occasionally, these fascinations turn into a podcast or blog post at one of my other blogs, Understanding Podcasting.
Tagsacting audioboo Audio Drama beard beards book book review chess China Mieville christmas comic books digital life dreams fantasy figures france future gaming Geek humour identity integrating life life memory mind movember movies music new media octobeard patterns phd rant reading research science fiction spider solitaire steampunk thought victoriana visualization voice Weird wonder writing